It all started with a protest for change for sex workers
When things aren’t just, stand up for what you believe in
On 2nd of June 1975 over a hundred street sex workers in Lyon occupied the Église Saint-Nizier, to protest inhumane working conditions and police who both gave sex workers harsh treatment and reacted with indifference to crimes committed against them, including two recent murders.
Eight days later, the police forcibly removed the women from the church, but their impact marked the start of an international movement.
What will you do to celebrate and remember this year? I’ve put together a list of events that are of interest.
Events in Australia
There are several events in Australia this year and here are some:
- (ONLINE) This one is a great online event sex worker stories and fundraiser event from Intro Room. There are some fantastic speakers lined up and the tickets vary in price or donation. Wednesday 2 June 202 7:00 pm – 9:15 pm AEST.
- (QLD) If you’re in Brisbane Qld, Respect Inc Meanjin has an International Whores Day 2 hour speciality BDSM workshop – ROPE BONDAGE: In-person only. Respect Inc Meanjin (Brisbane) Office. Wednesday 2 June 2021 11 am – 1 pm Qld Time
- (SA) SIN – Roadside Demo for Decrim – bring your own signs or use theirs. SIN 220 South Rd, Mile End SA. Wednesday 2 June 2021 9.30 am – 11.30 am and then again at 3.30 pm – 5.30 pm.
If you’re in other countries around the world, check these out.
- SWOP Minneapolis, MN – Dancing in the Streets to celebrate the removal of the MPLS loitering ordinance – 4 June 2021
- SWOP Sacramento – Banner Drop – 2 June 2021
- SWAG Berlin – Protests and demonstrations – 2 June 2021
- Check out the Zine video below from IWD 2020.
Bumbershoot Creative is dedicated to being an advocate for sex workers secure online presence. We understand and implement greater online security, safety and reliability for sex workers and their online content and want you to be reassured that these values are still important to us as we expand as a business.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions and join in some of the discussions outlined above.
Your Sex Work-Friendly Web Designer
Kim is an independent filmmaker and web designer/developer. Her short films have been selected for and screened at festivals around the world from Perth, Australia to New York City. As the founder of Bumbershoot Creative, she aims to apply her own creative skills and experiences to new projects, helping and supporting her clients as they grow their own businesses and ventures.
Kim has years of experience building websites for individuals and businesses in the adult industry. As such, she understands the unique challenges that owners of adult businesses are often faced with, including billing discrimination, hosting and service restrictions, shadow-banning, and stolen content.